Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Blog Post #6

The Networked Student


"Why does the networked student even need a teacher?" I too have pondered about this myself when watching or reading about how technology is being integrated so often into our educational system, and is now essentially a necessity for any classroom setting. My first reaction to this video was that it was extremely well done and organized. The speaker had excellent annunciation, the visuals were thought provoking as well as entertaining, and the aforementioned question, which was presented to the viewers at the presentation's closing, was adequately answered and even put a bit of my pondering to rest. While I may not yet be prepared to fully take on the needs of a networked student, thanks to this video, I now have some clarity. I agree that a teacher needs to be a moderator for the student and not only teach the students to effectively find information, but also to differentiate adequate information from questionable information (that's why teachers so often don't recommend cites like wikipedia for research papers, projects, etc; it can be edited by virtually anybody, so much of the information found there may not have an abundance of credibility).

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment (or PLN)


Wendy's Personal Learning Environment was incredible! It goes to show that any student, no matter how old or young, can appropriately and extensively utilize the offers technology brings us. In comparing her PLN to mine, I just have to say that I am jealous and hope to one day use technology as effectively as her, but with the help of Dr. Strange's EDM310 class I'm on my way. I really enjoy how she used Glogster, a digital poster (which I didn't even know existed!) to present a wonderful visual project on box jellyfish. I may just have to create a Glogster myself one day!

Why Smartboards Are A Dumb Initiative &  Why I Hate Interactive Whiteboards


Both articles express negativity towards Smartboards and Interactive Whiteboards, vouching that they are a waste of money and something incorporated into schools for what apparently seems like no reason. There is not much differentiation between the two presentations, only that Michael Staton (Smartboards) says that he likes the idea of them, although they are too costly for any benefits, and Bill Ferriter (Whiteboards) says that they are 'basically useless.'

SMARTBoard Lessons and Using Animation

In this article, however, is expressed a positive view of Smartboards. The article's author explained the use of animation that can be used with a smartboard, which can be used to capture the audience's attention and captivate them. The article does warn us of the negative aspects of using animation (such as it being too distracting to students), but it insists that the benefits outweigh the costs.


2 comments:

  1. I also often question myself about whether I will even be needed now that our educational system is moving away from the school being the homebase. last year I read an article that said "School buildings are going to become 'homebases' of learning, not the institutions where all learning happens". This whole idea of no longer lecturing in front of the classroom is still a bit mind boggling. I am still working on getting used to the fact that by the time I start teaching, my schema of teaching (that I have had since I was in elementary school) will not be the same. But this movie does help ease the mind by letting us know that we are needed. We as educators will still guide them just as we thought we were going to, just in a different way.

    Paige BRyant

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do try Glogster! It has lots of fans!

    A comment on Paige's comment. She writes "I am still working on getting used to the fact that by the time I start teaching, my schema of teaching (that I have had since I was in elementary school) will not be the same." This is the message of EDM310. Teaching should not be the same as it was when you were taught!

    ReplyDelete