Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Blog Post #3

A Vision of Students Today

This is kind of scary. It goes to show that a great deal of things go into our educations, but the question is, what exactly are we getting out of them? I am a sophomore in college and already I have grown weary of what I believe is one of the biggest scams of college education: Textbook prices. Every semester I will pay one-hundred-plus dollars for a textbook that I will rarely, if ever, open, and the funny thing is, that has happened to me in classes -where I have not needed my textbook- where I have done absolutely fine in. If the textbook is not absolutely necessary, why is it that we are paying hundreds of dollars for them? Furthermore, I must mention the fact that nearly every semester a new addition of a textbook comes out, when in actuality it is barely a new addition at all; they have only changed a few sentences, page numbers, or paragraphs around. It is not a new addition. The ones responsible just want a new paycheck. I am a relatively calm and understanding person, but all I have to say is I have had enough, my siblings have had enough, and others have had enough. It is time for foundations involved with education to ask themselves: what really matters? Our extensive paychecks... or the future of these kids, who might possibly, with the right and affordable education, turn around our world's ecomical situation?

"It's Not about the Technology"


My response to Mrs. Hines post was that I had to agree with her statement that teaching is not about the technology. In instances like these, where we see technology getting the best of us, I tell myself something: 'For countless years we have performed well with both teaching and learning without the technology.' The question remains, however, 'why now are they pushing technology on us?' It is only because we have it. We don't need it. We never needed it. People should look at the past and see the great strides humans have made without ever needing a computer or an ipod or a blog. Did Benjamin Franklin have a laptop when he flew his kite? Did Thomas Edison get inspiration for his lightbulb while listening to music on his ipod? Now, this isn't to say that technology is a bad thing -it's done wonders for us, of that there is no doubt-, but when it comes to teaching, we should keep it to a minimum.
I must add that I really do believe that technology should be incorporated into our schools. It is a way of life now, one which we must embrace. Notwithstanding, technology is not what we should concentrate on.

Is It Okay to Be a Technologically Illiterate Teacher?

Mr. Karl Fisch is a very bold man indeed, but I can relate a bit to what he said in his blog. I, like Mr. Fisch, have witnessed parents saying to their children "well don't worry, dear; I wasn't very good at math myself," as if insinuating that thier [the parent's] ignorance about the subject is sufficient enough of a reason for their child to not be good at it, and perhaps even reject it. The same principle does apply when people seem proud that they cannot use the internet adequately. While I do agree with everything aforementioned, I must say that, while Mr. Fisch's bold statement does have a point, I do not agree with it. Firstly, though, I must mention what constitutes a necessary skill. You need English. If you are to teach English, that is. You need math. If you are going to be a mathematician. And unless you are going to be a computer engineer or something of that nature that involves the extensive use of technology, you do not need it. To say that now if someone is technologically illiterate is the same as someone 30 years ago not knowing how to read and write is far too bold of a statement.
Then again, one must think in terms of the questions 'is this a bold statement now?' and 'will my oppinion change over time?' See, years ago people became offended when others looked down on them for not being able to read and write (and many people did not know how to read and write), but now, nearly everyone knows how to do these two things. Will history repeat itself? In 30 years will nearly everyone know how to use technology extensively? Only time will tell. Mr. Fisch is on to something, though, no doubt about that.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count


Things involved with technology are forever changing and I believe that, as a future teacher, it is something I must embrace, for it is unavoidable. I do not say that in a bad way, merely that technology, whether we like it or not, is always going to be there and is never going to stay the same. This media count, while possibly overwhelming to some, simply reflects something that has been going on for ages: everything changes. Do you see horse-drawn carriages? Men in top hats? No. The fact of the matter is that everything from fashion to transportation has changed and will always be changing. It is something we must not only accept, but use to our advantage.




3 comments:

  1. Where do I begin?...

    I guess I'll start with telling you are my choice for Blogger of the Week! That being said, I strongly disagree with a few of your statements.

    You speak of how a-okay we were without technology for years upon years, and you go on to ask the question, "So why are they pushing it on us?" You claim we don't need it and that we never needed it. You go on to mention the great strides that we have made without needing an iPod or a blog (Thomas Edison and the invention of technology, for example). You then clarify that you think technology isn't a bad thing, but that you just believe that it should be kept to a minimum in the classroom.

    Do you know the actual meaning of technology? According to Google, it's "the practical application of science to commerce or industry." So using that definition, you could date technology back to fire. To the wheel. To pottery. To animal domestication. You could also go back to Thomas Edison or to Henry Ford. During their times, I'm sure there were countless people saying, "We were just fine before this, so why do we need it now?"

    You are technically right about one thing. The world could turn off electricity, the internet, and completely ban the use of all things electronic, and the world would continue to spin. But if everyone had this mind frame of "What's the point?" human advancement would, without a doubt, come to an abrupt stop.

    Any more thoughts? :)

    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Allie,

    Here are my thoughts:
    I actually do appreciate how you, as well as others, have challenged my oppinions and views about technology and, as I have replied to other comments, I honestly have to reply to yours in a similar fashion: I am naive about technology. Throughout my educational experience I have never found a tremendous need for utilizing the technological advantages we now have today. I suppose the reason for this is because I'm an English major, and so far books are the main area from where my knowledge comes.

    To add to that, however, I am finding EDM310 a wonderful experience. I like the idea of blogging as a teacher, several of the videos we've been assigned to watch I have already seen prior to this class and I really enjoyed watching them again, and my intellect has been challenged severely, which I believe is necessary for staying mentally fit.

    To summarize my stance on technology: I am aware that many of my posts are redundant, inconsistent, and/or just downright naive. This is because I have a lot to learn. But I'm on my way. You, Dr. Strange, my fellow classmates and EDM310 are helping me get there.

    I do have a question. How is it that I get your choice for Blogger of the Week?

    -Matthew

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have an open mind and you are open to other points of view, and that's an excellent start! When I first took EDM, I already knew about computers, I had my own personal blog, etc., but I had never really thought of incorporating these that I already used daily into my teaching. EDM opened my eyes to a completely different look on the education. I don't necessarily agree with everything that is assigned in this class (and you're not expected to either!), but the main point is that you THINK.

    But back to the technology! I think the greatest contribution that it has given us is the ability to connect and share thoughts/ideas, which can result in rapid progression. Let's just pretend that Einstein, da Vinci, and Socrates all lived at the same time AND had the same networking tools that we do now, Imagine what great things could have been brought about? That's where we are now! The greatest minds and revolutionaries of our world are just clicks away from one another.

    Let's say you're in an English class, and let's say you're studying a famous contemporary author with your class. With the tools of today (and if you know who to ask, of course!), you could easily connect your students directly with that author via Skype, email, or whatever else!

    And as far as the Blogger of the Week goes, each week the staff is asked to pick a "winner" out of our assigned students. You're writing was great, you made valid points, and I really just enjoyed reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete