Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Final Project (#16)

For this project, Woodie Holloway and I created facebook pages of historic figures relating to our current educational choices. I am an English Education major, so my facebook page was on Mark Twain, the author famous for his novel The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, and because Woodie has a minor in music, his facebook page was on George Howard, a professional jazz musician who began his career in the late 1970's.
I think that an idea for a facebook page being incorporated into teaching would be very fundamental. Think of this scenario: I, after graduation, begin teaching literature at a high school. One of the weeks I am there, the class and I discuss a famous literary author, for example, Mark Twain. Assigning the students to create a facebook page about this particular literary figure is a wonderful idea because (1) it was very fun creating the facebook page on Mark Twain, (2) while doing research I learned many things about Mark Twain I had not known prior, and (3) facebook is a great tool that young students can easily relate to. They wouldn't really see it as "work," but rather a creative way to learn about a historic literary figure.
The only con to this project was that it was time-consuming, but because it doesn't even feel like work the time flew by relatively quickly. Also, a LOT of research is required to make these pages look legitimate... but the reward of learning so much about the historic figure is well worth it.

Click the links below to visit Mark Twain's and George Howard's facebook pages.

Because Mark Twain was simply his pen name, the facebook account is under his real name:
Samuel Langhorne Clemens

George Howard

No comments:

Post a Comment